Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Only Way To Live


Hi Dad,
Today, I'm living this painting! Yes, your thrill seeking daughter is about to jump out of a perfectly good plane. And I'm freaking out! I'm not sure I like the idea but I'm way too stubborn to chicken out.
You loved my art work and couldn't wait to show it off to all your mates back at the gem fields. You never got that opportunity, yet I feel so proud and touched by your complete support of me and all I did.
I did this painting after my treatment, during an 'up' stage. I had discovered my illness was cured, I no longer needed the medication which literally consumed my life and I'd been away on an amazing 3 week holiday to Thailand. I had applied for the Design course before going overseas. There was a letter waiting for me when I got back, advising me that I had been selected to come to an interview with a self portrait and sit a drawing assessment. The self portrait  could reflect any part of my personality, lifestyle, or similar so I chose to capture not only how I currently felt, but how I want to live my life. The sun rise of course means it's a brand new day. I want to embrace life by jumping willingly into all God has for me and embrace a colourful and bright future. It's the only way I want to live.
Meeting you opened my eyes too. Despite your social handicaps, you made me realise that I was so blessed- you saw me as young, beautiful with two gorgeous girls, a healed body and heaps of talent. For that I thank you, and make this promise that I'm going to live like the girl in this painting- embrace my life with joy and freedom- it's the only way to live!



No comments:

Post a Comment